While the Minecraft Movie looks less likely, a game called “Minecraft: Story Mode” is most definity in development. It’s being made by Telltale – the people behind “The Walking Dead” games and the recent “Game of Thrones” game.
Here’s their press release:
“As 2014 comes to a close, we are delighted to confirm our partnership with Mojang to create a new episodic game series based on one of the most popular video games in history – Minecraft.
Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product that will premiere in 2015 on consoles, computers and mobile devices.
Telltale’s game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation.
For more information on why Telltale and Mojang chose to work together, visit Mojang’s blog.
2014 is Telltale’s tenth anniversary year; seeing in the climactic finales of the critically acclaimed and best-selling The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two. With the recent premieres of both Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands, our 2015 lineup will include the remainder of both of those new series, and now it will also include the premiere of Minecraft: Story Mod”
Related: 6 Awesome Last-Minute Christmas Gifts!
Mojang has also confirmed this on their blog:
In other news, we’re collaborating with Telltale Games to create Minecraft: Story Mode! Here are some bullet points to celebrate!
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke
We’re interested to see how this works out. One of the defining factors of Minecraft is the lack of story. One other cool thing about this, you can play the announcement here.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments!