Minecraft 1.9—The Combat Update— is set to be awesome. Yet Minecrafter GamerGuppy just made it even more awesome, by showing off what’s possible with command blocks and custom models (and some features added so far in the snapshots). Now you can add 10 weapons from the Halo universe – the Magnum, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, flamethrower, fuel rod gun, rocket launcher, Spartan Laser, frag grenades and of course plasma grenades. There are also custom death messages, accurate collision physics and multiplayer compatibility.As you can see from the video above, it’s not quite a recreation of Halo in Minecraft, but it is awesome!
In terms of a technical explaination, I’m going to copy GamerGuppy’s reddit post, because it’s rather detailed.
How does it work?
How it works is quite complex and I would advice watching the vid below since it is easier to understand when it is visualized. However in short:
- Upon using a weapon an armorstand is spawned and teleported to you.
- It’s rotation values (phi, theta) are extracted with 3 decimal precision.
- It is given a velocity value (R)
- The (now) spherical coordinates (phi, theta & R) are converted to cartesian coordinates (X, Y, Z) using Bhaskara’s Sine Approximation.
- Motion is incrementally applied with collision checks in between
If, like me, you think this is awesome, you can download the weapons and minigame from the video description! Let us know what you think in the description below. Also, note that this requires that you use a recent 1.9 snapshot to work.